The Institute for Public Health harnesses the strengths of Washington University in St. Louis to address the complex health issues and health disparities facing the St. Louis region and the world.
The vision for public health at Washington University is to improve community and global health through the creation of new knowledge, the application and translation of science, and the training of advanced academic and practice leaders in public health.
The mission for public health at Washington University includes five objectives:
- To generate distinctive transdisciplinary research discoveries and service interventions that address significant community and population health problems
- To train a cadre of leaders who have an evidence-based approach to public health interventions, health services, and health policy
- To educate the next generation of academic leaders in community and population health sciences
- To eliminate health disparities and improve measurable health outcomes through sustained community and organizational partnerships
- To significantly influence the development of sound public health policy