Violence Prevention Databases
The Public Health Data & Training Center is responsible for maintaining two databases related to violence prevention for Life Outside of Violence (LOV), the Hospital-based Violence Intervention Program.
Oversight of these data is provided by a committee of the STL-HVIP body, and are available to researchers and LOV program evaluators by way of an application process.
A repository of clinical information on all hospital visits made for violent injuries from all four level-one trauma centers in the region
A program facilitated by case workers designed to prevent recidivism for violent injuries at the four participating hospitals.
Completion of these forms does not guarantee access to the requested data.
The following publications regarding our Hospital-based Violence Intervention Program are authored by researchers on our team.
- Mueller KL, Trolard A, Moran V, Landman JM, Foraker R. Positioning public health surveillance for observational studies and clinical trials: The St. Louis region-wide hospital-based violence intervention program data repository. Contemp Clin Trials Commun. 2021 Mar;21:100683. doi: 10.1016/j.conctc.2020.100683. eCollection 2021 Mar. PubMed PMID: 33385095; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC7770475.
- Mueller K, Cooper BP, Moran V, Mancini M, Foraker RE. Linking out-of-hospital deaths with a regional hospital-based firearm injury database: a clinical researcher’s guide to accessing data from the National Death Index. Inj Prev. 2022 Feb 17;. doi: 10.1136/injuryprev-2021-044516. [Epub ahead of print] PubMed PMID: 35177435.
- Mueller KL, Moran V, Anwuri V, Foraker RE, Mancini MA. An exploration of factors impacting implementation of a multisystem hospital-based violence intervention program. Health Soc Care Community. 2022 Nov;30(6):e6577-e6585. doi: 10.1111/hsc.14107. Epub 2022 Nov 14. PubMed PMID: 36373272.
- Shayan M, Lew D, Mancini M, Foraker RE, Doering M, Mueller KL. A systematic review of recurrent firearm injury rates in the United States. Prev Med. 2023 Mar;168:107443. doi: 10.1016/j.ypmed.2023.107443. Epub 2023 Feb 3. Review. PubMed PMID: 36740145.
- Mueller KL, Chapman-Kramer K, Cooper BP, Kaser T, Mancini M, Moran V, Vogel M, Foraker RE, Anwuri V. A Regional Approach to Hospital-Based Violence Intervention Programs Through LOV. J Public Health Manag Pract. 2023 May-Jun 01;29(3):306-316. doi: 10.1097/PHH.0000000000001716. PubMed PMID: 36961541.